The History of Faunbrook
The estate was designed by notable Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan and built by William Baldwin in 1860. Baldwin topped it with a weathervane that depicted a faun and named it Faunbrook. Faunbrook stood in the midst of stately oak and chestnut trees with two ponds. The property was complete with swans and dotted with statuary, gazebos, and fountains.
In 1867, Smedley Darlington purchased the home and moved in with his wife, his son, and five daughters. The Darlingtons often hosted fireworks displays on the Faunbrook grounds for Independence Day.